The lazaret, built in 1847 is the oldest building on the island. Currently being renovated, this picture shows "before and after". Above the entrances the exterior walls remain unpainted. This building, along with several others like it, were converted into hospitals in 1848. Inside, the large rooms would have been furnished with rows of beds. On the walls, inscriptions left behind by patients are still visible. There are, even, notes taken by a doctor during a visit with a patient.

Back
Home

This page last updated on April 9, 2010 by Gilbert Provost - g.provost@xplornet.ca
  © 1999-2010 Gilbert Provost, All Rights Reserved.