Arriving in late June, Henrich Stief, Michael Lutz and Charles Jones explored westward from Hall's Creek to find land that could be planted as soon as possible. With a minumum amount of manpower, tools and materials, the settlers set out to build a home and plant their crops of buckwheat and turnips. The remaining weeks of warm weather were well used in their preparation for winter.
Their food supplies were diminishing fast, but the supply ship, promised by Anthony Wayne, had not arrived. The prospect of a winter with low supplies worried Charles, so after a discussion with Jacob Trites, it was decided that Charles and Jacob would leave the wives and children together at the Trites Cottage, while the two men made the long journey overland to Fort Cumberland, to obtain addional provisions.
They would set out on foot and estimated they could cover the distance in two days, one day at the Fort, and two days back,
a total of five days. When they entered the Fort, they asked to speak to Mr. Wethered, whom Captain Hall had spoken to on their behalf in June.
From Mr. Wethered, they learned that the two men who had set out for their settlement with their promised supplies, had almost perished
during a freezing storm and gale. Mr. Wethered also stated that payment from Anthony Wayne for these supplies had not been
received and regrettably, he felt he could not advance them any more supplies.
After crafty bargaining and a solid silver candle holder, brought by Jacob Trites, for payment, the men returned home. For their families to share equally was one hundred pounds of flour, necessary powder and shot to arm their muskets, tea, dried beans and peas and two bolts of material, some needles and thread to make much needed winter clothing. These provisions seem to have been the key for these two families surviving the winter better than the rest of the settlers.
It was spring before a supply ship arrived and legends
are many as to how the settlers survived that first winter.
One legend mentions a surviving Acadian named Belliveau, who taught them easier ways to snare
animals, to make maple syrup, to make snowshoes for easier
winter travel and taught them what plants were edible.
Word was sent to Hughes, via the supply ship, of the plight of the settlers, but Hughes was having his own problems.
Through Benjamin Franklin, John Hughes was named "Collector of Stamp Duties" when the new Stamp Act went into effect. The Stamp Act was passed in British Parliament in 1765 as a means of raising revenue in the American Colonies. It required all legal documents, licenses, commercial contracts, newspapers, pamphlets and playing cards to carry a tax stamp. The money was intended to defray the cost of maintaining military defenses in the colonies. The citizens of Philadelphia were so enraged by this new imposition that they made Hughes' life unbearable. So unbearable, in fact, that he retired to his farm in Upper Marion, then finally, he left Pennsylvania altogether. He probably never knew of the plight of the settlers.
With Benjamin Franklin in London fighting the Stamp Act and John Hughes in seclusion, the company
with which the settlers had made an agreement had almost ceased to exist.
The settlers decided the time had come to take it into their own hands to secure their deeds. They decided to petition the government of Nova Scotia (New Brunswick was not yet established) for title to lands they had ocupied in the township under agreements made with the Franklin Company.
The settlers claimed non-fulfilment of their agreements by the Philadelphia company and sought rights to the land. The claims were upheld and registered in the Cumberland County Registry Office in Amherst, giving the settlers hugh tracts of land in Moncton Township.The legal process by which title to the lands were granted, involved a sale in which the Sheriff of Cumberland County auctioned the lands and the settlers placed their bids.
From damages awarded and costs against Franklin and Company awarded, Charles made his bid, for which he received 2163 acres. However, before the deeds could be recorded at the Registry Office, between January and July 1778, Charles died. His sons John and Henry became the owners.
Although Charles never held the registered deed to "his own Land" in his calloused hand, he died knowing that his family now had their OWN land. His family had increased since arriving on the Petitcodiac. He now left his wife Catherine, his sons John and Henry and his daughters Margaret and Catherine.
After their father's death, John and Henry, went on to acquire another grant of 100 acres of land, complete with a brook, on which to build a mill, just two miles from their home.
It is believed the Jones' lived on the homestead property from 1766 until 1910. It is also very
likely that both Charles and Catherine were buried on the homestead property.