What Can I Do to Stop the Proposed Mega-Quarry?
1) Research the issue.
2) Sign a petition.
3) Be heard –
tell your friends, talk to your local politicians (municipal, provincial
and federal) and newspapers. This
proposed quarry risks
4) Write letters – to the Ministry of Natural Resources, the Ministry of the Environment, the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and rural Affairs, the Highland Companies, Dufferin County and the Township of Melancthon (sample letters). Write to the Baupost Group, parent of the Highland Companies. E-mail the Boston Herald newspaper.
5) Join our Call to Action Campaign.
6) Attend a fund-raising/social awareness event. Events are being listed on the “Friends of N.D.A.C.T.” and “Stop the Quarry” facebook pages/group as well as at www.ndact.com and www.nomegaquarry.com. See also Upcoming Events.
7) Follow @nomegaquarry on Twitter.
8) Follow @teamheadwaters on Twitter.
9) Join an advocacy group:
b. Citizen’s Alliance United for a Sustainable Environment (CAUSE) www.citizensalliance.ca
10) Post a sign – let everybody know. Signs can be purchased with a donation to NDACT, or create your own sign.
11) Distribute event posters or brochures – print your own
12) Keep an eye
on the EBR (Ontario’s Environmental
Registry) and comment whenever there is an application for a new quarry or
an extension of an existing quarry. Let
ministry staff know that
13) Donate your
time, your expertise or your money. The
Highland Company has deep pockets with the financial backing of a
14) Send cheques
16) Join another supporting group (alpha order):
a. AWARE Simcoe www.aware-simcoe.ca
c. Council of Canadians www.canadians.org
d. David Suzuki Foundation www.davidsuzuki.org
e. Gravel Watch
f. Lake Ontario Waterkeeper www.waterkeeper.ca
g. Mono Mulmur Citizens’ Coalition (MC)2 www.monomulmur.com
17) Get involved and “git ‘er done”!
Return to www.facebook.com/friends.of.ndact